We have had a quiet yet incredibly productive winter. We needed it quite frankly. We also really needed a new bathroom. The 80′s builder grade hall bath was so dated and just blah. We gave it a bright makeover on a DIY budget. Ok, a renovation really. Here’s how it looked when we acquired the house. Yikes.
Let’s check out the updates. Come on in…
I’ve been hoarding this dresser for a while because I knew it was just right for the new vanity. And it only cost about $40 because the drawers needed work which is a basic requirement of turning a dresser into a vanity anyway.
Storage is at a minimum in this house so preserving as much drawer space as possible was a goal that we easily met by using a porcelain trough sink instead of a drop sink. I love how it turned out!
I will share details of how the vanity was constructed in a later post.
For now, please admire the vanity mirror. It makes this tiny room seem much larger than it is and the bonus is that we had it all along. The mirror is part of the French provincial bedroom set that I inherited from my grandmother. I didn’t want to use the mirror with the dresser in our bedroom and opted to split the set up. It worked out to be the perfect width to pair with the new vanity when hung vertically. I didn’t touch the old finish. It seemed like just the right warm, contrast to all of the cool aqua and white.
I really can never have enough hound dogs on guard around here. Especially when they are in the form of vintage paint by numbers.
Did you catch a glimpse of the shell chandelier. Yup, I’m pretty smitten with that DIY too. Sigh.
I can’t wait to share how we pulled that off for about 20 bucks. The salvaged radiator grate is actually acting as a screen to the bathroom fan. It is so much more interesting looking than the hardware store options.
The renovation began with Ryan demoing out the old vinyl flooring and vanity.
He then installed white ceramic hex tile for my birthday present! The gift of home is the kind I love. Seriously. The vintage hooked rug was a birthday gift to myself.
Next up was the PVC beadboard installation that Ryan also DIY’d. We kept the stained wood molding around the door and window to match the rest of the house. However, we replaced the door with a white beadboard style which we’ll continue throughout the house. This seems to be a great compromise between the bright cottage style I love and the craftsman wood style that Ryan loves.
We picked up a few old brass ship plates last year at Brimfield. The ‘Certified Private Lavatory’ one found a home paired with the wire bike basket.
We went with top down window shades again. I love the privacy they give but the light they allow in.
Thanks for visiting. Stay tuned for some DIY tutorials from this room in the coming days.