About a year ago, we gave the beach house bathroom a minor update with some paint. The 80’s floral wallpaper was literally falling off of the wall.
Ohmigosh, removing wallpaper sucks. Especially in a small space. We kept bumping into each other…but atleast there was a pretty snow storm to admire outside.
A little elbow grease and a lot of bumping into each other later and we had ourselves a newish bathroom. Oh the power of paint!
Of course I chomped at the bit to accessorize it. When I was out antiquing, I picked up these adorable fish wall pockets. Aren’t they cute?
Subtle beach house decor. Just call it my specialty.
And at an estate sale, I grabbed this Victorian Cape May house. I didn’t grab the actual house. I bought the quirky watercolor from a woman who previously owned the Bed & Breakfast pictured. Loved that aspect of the story.
When I got it home, I realized it was an odd shape that you couldn’t easily frame. 7×10 or something. Let’s be honest, I wasn’t going to have it custom framed and matted. The picture was only about 2 bucks. Custom framing is expensive. I did it once for some reason and it cost like $50. So I found an 11×14 frame that was lying around and just popped the watercolor in over some white paper.
I wasn’t fooling anyone though. It needed to be matted.
That task was on my to-do list for nearly the last year. Finally, last week. I got around to doing it. Hip hip hoorah!
The previous owners were kind enough to leave all of the wallpaper remnants behind. And I do mean ALL of them. Every room had 1980’s wallpaper. Fun.
I’ve been itching to put the vintage wallpaper to good use. By “good use” I don’t mean back on the walls. Blah. I’ve seen them used frequently for shelf liner. I like that but came up with another idea for this particular project.
Using the floral wallpaper remnant, I matted the cute little watercolor in the too-big-for-it-frame. This was the same pattern that once papered that bathroom. I thought it was kind of a nice tribute to the history of the room. Not to mention the muted colors seem to provide some whimsy framing that green Victorian house.
To create the matting, I cut an 11×14 section of wallpaper.
Then decided on a 2 inch mat.
I measured the 2 inches and used a paper cutter to cut out the middle section.
I glued the picture to the matting
and framed it back up. Voila!
After I stopped over thinking the math, creating the mat was easy. Seriously, I was measuring, dividing and subtracting for some ridiculous reason! Then it went off like a lightbulb – 2 inch framed matting was all I needed to know. Duh!
Can’t wait to use the rest of the wallpaper remnants in other projects!