Today I have a little upcycled project to share with you. We had a request to create a bench out of a vintage crib.
Ok I’m totally lying this wasn’t a little project as I like to play it off. This is one of several projects that took the better part of our summer to complete. We worked on bits and pieces over the weeks and finally we had the honor of returning this crib turned bench to its owner last weekend.
And she loved it! Whew! (I always get really anxious just before presenting a custom project. What if they hate it? What if we didn’t have the same vision? As a result, I just keep nervously buffing at the furniture. Could be worse, right?)
Now we’re certainly not the first to make a bench out of a crib but I think this one is different than most that I’ve seen out there. In most other cases, the side rails have created the bench back. In our case, the side rails were used as, well, side rails for the bench.
And the back was the featured attraction, if you will. Basically we had a late 1940s crib with adorable graphics on the headboard. Those graphics were to be the main attraction.
Did I mention that this crib was our friend and client’s crib as a baby? How cool is that? Oh, hopefully she doesn’t notice that I just revealed her age. We’re all friends here, right?!
Anyway, Ryan cut the headboard into 2 equal size pieces leaving the graphic teddy bears to face each other.
We pulled some old but never before used trim molding together to frame out the bench back. Both the molding and the backing were attached to a piece of plywood. It appears that I didn’t take a single during shot of that process. Sorry.
And as you can see the side rails were cut to size with the original lever reattached to call back to its days as a crib. That was actually the last step.
Here are the side rails before. There’s a lot left to make a matching towel rack or book rack or fabric rack (I could go on) out of…
Once we knew the exact size of the bench back, we measured out the seat. The seat is the only part of the bench that used new wood. All of the other parts utilized reclaimed wood. So basically 2 2×6’s side by side created the bench seat with a 2×4 apron around the bottom of the seat.
Insert legs. Literally. We had an end table sitting around that I was not a fan of however it had great legs!
We removed them from the table, cut them down to appropriate bench size height and attached them. By the way an appropriate height is 18-20 inches for a bench seat
Once all of the construction was complete, I got to painting. We went with a little bit of a distressed look. I haphazardly painted a little Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Antibes Green and a custom mixed pink on first. Just enough so it would peak out in areas under ASCP Versailles. The green and pink seem to call back to the colors in the graphic teddy bears. Once that was all complete, I covered with a clear wax and, as I said, buffed.
There you have it! Our summer vacation. Kidding. It didn’t take that long.
Per the usual around here, I masterminded some crazy concoction. There are even horrific sketches to prove it. Then Ryan came in an made sense of it with proper measurements and right angles and other mathematical stuff that honestly bores me. We make a great team. I dream and he measures.
Sorry for the on-the-fly photoshoot on this one. I had a vision of styling it really cute for a child’s room but time wasn’t on my side so I snapped these after photos in the shop before the bench was transported to it’s new home!